Womersleys continue to supply lime mortars to Pontefract Castle
The £3.5m restoration project to open up parts of the Pontefract Castle not seen by the public since the 17th century is now well underway. Womersley’s continue to supply William Anelay Ltd, the main contractor with lime, sand and specialist aggregates for rebuilding and conservation work. This followed initial mortar analysis by Womersley’s to establish the constituents of the original mortar used in the castles construction and latter restoration work.
As part of the four-year project a new visitor centre, with a cafe and classroom facilities will also be opened.
The scheme has been funded through a £3.045m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) along with another £455,000 from the council and English Heritage.
As part of the project, the castle’s Sally Port and Swillington Tower, which have not been accessible since the castle was destroyed in 1649, will be reopened.
A Victorian barn on the site will be transformed into a new shop, visitor centre and cafe.
Once complete, the work will mean the castle will be taken off English Heritage’s At Risk register and a programme of events, activities and educational sessions will be held at the site.
There will also be improved access to parts of the site not seen by the public for many years, including the Sally Port.
Works are due to be completed Summer 2016.
Womersley’s Ltd, for Wakefield Council, have also run training courses at the castle for members of the public on how to use lime mortars, traditional lime and clay plastering and helped give an insight to local people about how the castle and buildings in Pontefract may have been decorated with traditional paints and distempers